Sunday, May 20, 2018

I Did Not Expect This...


I grabbed my phone so I could capture some pictures of the sweet little prayer chapel I saw while on a Women's Retreat this last weekend. I knew it would be cute, but at the same time I also dislike contrived, man-made "spiritual" setups, so to speak.
  
With that in mind. I was unprepared for what happened when I stepped inside and closed the door behind me. Thankfully it was absent of music. It was silent other than the loud hum of an air conditioner on this hot Texas day.

The door closed and as I turned to look around the tiny building my heart filled and my prayer language simply began to flow without hesitation. 

Then tears came because it has been a while. I smiled, relaxed and quietly walked around and around inside the prayer chapel praying in a spiritual language. Yes, I am one of those "tongue talkers". 

My shoulders fell, my breathing slowed and I knew that Holy Spirit and I were having an important conversation. Or maybe we were both sharing my heart with Father God. 

When the words are not mine, I can trust them. When the words are His, I know that I am not inserting my own agenda into the conversation. My spirit is communing with His Spirit. What could be more valuable and worthy? 


It was a beautiful few minutes. I walked back up the hill to my room in a better place than when I walked down that path. Time in God's presence, short or long will change a person. Now my heart and mind were open and a little less guarded with this new group of people I was just getting to know. 

I was pretty nervous about this retreat in a new church that I barely attend. The first evening was hard. But this little group of ladies welcomed me and I loved the silly camaraderie that I was seeing and hearing. The inside jokes of longtime friends reveal a history of ups and downs experienced together. 

My husband says I am brave. It did take a bit of courage to go to a 3 day retreat with a new church, but I knew I was supposed to do it. I made myself commit to it several months ago by making small payments to save my spot. 

And I am glad I did. No, it did not change my whole life. (Maybe it did!) But it was a sweet reminder that God loves. He loves me, you, and the people next door. 

He loves. It's what He does, what He is and all He knows. Loving you is His favorite thing! 

Bless you.
Susie

6 comments:

Sandi said...

"He loves. It's what He does, what He is and all He knows."

I love this!

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

Thank you Sandi. I do too!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

As soon as I saw your pictures on Facebook this morning I was smiling, feeling your smile all the way from Texas to Florida. I just knew deep in my heart that this was something oh so good for you in so many ways. I know this weekend would have been a difficult time in some ways due to the anniversary of your mother's passing (yes! I remember, since it was just one month after my father's passing..we were experiencing such loss at the same time) And I knew that God would meet you there at that special place...I didn't know how it came to be, but I rejoiced that it did. Thank you for this beautiful story of just how the Lord ministered to you in this beautiful place. He knows just what we need, when we need it...and even prepared for you to go long before you even knew how special it would be. Praise God! I am so happy for you.

quietspirit said...

Susie: I rejoice that you had this personal time with God. We all desire to have times of just being alone with God and listening to Him. Peace and Blessings.

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

Thank you Pam. It was a good time. I still had my awkward moments of hiding in the bathroom when I didn't know who to talk to. Ha! I even went to my room a bit, but could not concentrate on my book, so I forced myself to join the ladies in free time.
Glad i did it!
And thank you for remembering.

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

Hi Celeste, thanks for coming by! Yes, any time alone with God is valuable time spent.