Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Swimming With Dragons...Well Dragonflies, Technically

Book Credit: Christopher O'Toole - Firefly Encyclopedia 

Last night I swam with dragonflies. I was literally surrounded and circled by 4 or 5 gorgeous dragonflies! I giggled and smiled and held out my hand hoping one would land. 

These colorful little helicopters have intrigued me for the last 4 summers since we've been here at this house. They seem so curious about us. They come as close as possible and just stare out of those huge eyes, fly off and immediately return for another peek. 

Every time I experience our little "meetings", I tell myself and whoever else is nearby that I really must do some research on dragonflies because they are so pretty and fascinating to me. 

But I have avoided following through on the research and I know exactly what has held me back from learning more. It is kind of silly but I've been afraid of learning stuff I do not want to know. 

I do not want to discover that they only live one day or that they eat one another, or that when they are hovering near me they are merely looking for a place to poop. 

Yesterday and today I finally did a bit of research about dragonflies and WHEW, none of that is the case! Yay! 

I am so relieved, because if they only live one day then the deep blue one with yellow around the collar whom I've been talking to for the last few weeks would not really be my special friend. I found that dragonflies can actually live for several months if not eaten by enemies. And they are not looking for a place to poop.

But they do seem very interested in us. Last night I floated on my back in the pool and opened my eyes to one hovering just inches from my face. I was thrilled! I read somewhere that it is considered good luck if one lands on your head. 

I didn't want to scare it away so I remained as still as one can when floating on water, until it zipped away and circled back a little farther away. 

An ugly wasp decided to come close for a visit too and my dragonfly friend promptly chased it away with its stinger between its legs. (My imagination may have added some drama to this event but still, I felt very protected!) 

My dragonfly friends are mostly blue rather than red.

I don't know if God is talking to me through these cute little creatures like He did with butterflies in the past. But I am watching and listening just in case. In the meantime, I see them as a sweet kiss from Him and reminder that all of nature was created by God and loved by Him.  

When I look around, it is impossible to believe that God does not enjoy what He created too. Don't you think He smiles at the color choices He has made and the whimsical shapes and sizes that make up our world of creatures? 

He did not HAVE to use such vast variety did He? Flowers, vegetation, insects and jungle life; it all stands as evidence that our Creator loves color, spice and imagination. 

Watching dragonflies, swimming with dragonflies, hearing the quick beat of their gossamer wings; these are love notes from God to me. To us. 

I do not see a dragonfly tattoo in my near future. But I have also learned that it is wise to never say never. 

Similar to "my" dragonflies.

Love you,
Susie

1 comment:

Sandi said...

"...or that when they are hovering near me they are merely looking for a place to poop."

HAHAHAHAhaaaha!